Huawei G8 is clearly one of the best smartphones that one can buy in the high-end segment. It comes with octa-core Snapdragon 615 processor, 3GB RAM, 5.5- inches large Full-HD display, 13MP primary camera, 5MP secondary camera and Android 5.1 Lollipop OS. Not only it’s great in terms of display quality, it has got one of the best primary cameras too! That’s what makes it one of the best smartphones in the high-end segment.
In one of our previous articles we had told you how can you unlock the bootloader of your G8. That was the first step to Root Huawei G8. Now in this article we’ll take a look at guide on How to Root Huawei G8 and Install Custom Recovery. Let’s get started:
- The bootloader of your phone should be unlocked. If you haven’t done this already, follow the procedure given in our previous article.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options >> USB debugging.
- Download TWRP custom recovery file from here. Remember that this file is for Huawei G8 only and you should never flash it on any other device.
Installing Custom Recovery
Before you can Root Huawei G8, you’ll have to install custom recovery on it. Follow the steps given below to do so:
- Open the Huawei G8 folder that you created in our previous tutorial to unlock the bootloader of your device.
- Copy the TWRP recovery file that you downloaded during prerequisites to the Huawei G8 folder.
- Shift+Right Click inside the folder to launch a command prompt.
- Execute the following command to start your phone in fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
5. Once your phone is in fastboot mode, execute the following command to flash custom recovery:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
6. Wait for the process to complete and you’ll see a success message in command prompt window.
7. Next two steps are important and need to be performed with caution, so I’d suggest that you read both of them once before performing them.
8. When you see the success message on your computer screen, execute the last command given below to reboot your phone:
7. As soon as you give the reboot command, hold down the Volume Down button and Power button of your phone to boot your phone into recovery mode. This is important because if your phone boots normally for the first time after flashing a custom recovery, the stock recovery may play evil and wipe all the hardwork that you did recently. That risk goes away if you boot into recovery mode for the first time after flashing a custom recovery. Plus, it also gives you the confirmation that everything went fine.
And that’s it. You’ve successfully flashed custom recovery on your Huawei G8. Now let’s get to the rooting part.
Steps to Root Huawei G8:
Once you’ve unlocked the bootloader and flashed custom recovery, rooting Huawei G8 only remains a matter of installing SuperSu. Follow the steps given below to do that:
- Connect your phone to PC via USB cable
- Navigate to the Huawei G8 folder and copy the SuperSU-PRO-V2.46.zip file. If there’s no such file in the folder or you lost the folder itself, you can download the file directly from here.
- Paste the file in your phone’s SD card.
- Now disconnect the phone from PC and turn it off.
- Turn the phone on in recovery mode by holding Volume down and Power buttons.
- Select the option of Install Zip and navigate to the folder where you pasted your SuperSu file.
- Select the file to flash it and wait for procedure to finish.
- Reboot the phone.
And you’re done! Your Huawei G8 is now rooted and you can provide root access to any of your desired apps from SuperSu app. If you wish, you can verify the root status of your phone from Root Checker app available in Play Store. Enjoy!